Eating out

Eating out

A wide variety of cuisine is available within a few miles of Coed y Berclas. The range on offer includes something for every taste, occasion and purse, from takeaway to superior formal dining – from historic buildings in Beaumaris to grand country house hotels.

Restaurants in Beaumaris

Ye Olde Bulls Head.
Castle Street, LL58 8AP. 01248 810329
Brasserie 12:00 – 14:00 (15:00 on Sundays) 18:00 – 21:00 informal dining no booking. Loft Restaurant Tues/Thurs 19:00 – 21:30, Fri/Sat 18:30 – 21:30 Old coaching inn, has played host to such notables as General Mytton, Dr Samuel Johnson and Charles Dickens. Open fires in the winter

The Bulkeley.
Castle Street, LL58 8AW. 01248 810415.
A Best Western hotel with a restaurant, bistro and coffee shop.

Castle Street,LL58 8AP. 01248 812990. Ground floor is a fish-and-chip shop, upstairs is Café Neptune – a restaurant serving locally caught seafood.

The Bishopsgate.
Church Street, LL58 8BB. 01248 810302.
AA Rosette awarded restaurant, local produce wherever possible.

Liverpool Arms.
Castle Street, LL58 8BA. 01248 810362.
A family run pub serving food – lunch and evenings.

Tredici – Italian Kitchen
13 Castle Street, LL58 8AP. 01248 811230.
Open: Food served 12:00 – 15:30 17:00 – 22:00. Coffee/Wine Bar 10:00 – late.

The Pier House Cafe and Bistro.
At the root of Beaumaris pier, LL58 8BS. 01248 811055.
Open Mon – Sun 9:00 – 21:00

Meghna Tandoori Restaurant.
17 Church Street, LL58 8AB 01248 812058
Open 12:00 – 14:00 17:00 – 23:00

Red Boat Ice-cream Parlour
34 Castle Street, LL58 8DA. 01248 810589
Ice creams and sorbets made on the premises, drinks and light meals.

Spinning Wheel.
1 Bulkeley Place, LL58 8AP 01248 810338
Light meals and teas.

Beau’s Tearooms.
30 Castle Street, LL58 8AP. 01248 811010.
Light meals and teas.

11 Church Street, LL58 8AB. 01248 811534.
Family based informal eating. Open Mon – Fri 7:30 – 21:00 Sat/Sun 8:00 – 21:00

Restaurants in Menai Bridge

The Straits.
Dale Street, LL59 5AW. 01248 716377.
Open Tuesday to Thursday 5:30 – 9:30, Friday and Saturday 5:30 – 10:30, also Bank Holiday Mondays. Booking ahead advisable.

The Bridge Inn.
Telford Road, 01248 716888.
Restaurant and bar beside The Menai Suspension Bridge. Open 12:00 -2:30, 6:00 – 9:30 Booking ahead advisable.

Sosban – The Old Butcher’s
1 High Street, LL59 5EE. 01248 208131.
Open Thurs/Fri/Sat 19:00 – 23:00 Different approach to dining – excellent reviews. Must book ahead.

Dylan’s Restaurant
St George’s Rd, LL59 5EY. 01248 716714.
Edge of the Menai Strait at the root of Menai Bridge Pier. Pizza, Seafood (local) and Baked Goods. Childrens’ menu. Open 11:00am – 11pm every day Booking possible for lunch/evenings.

Victoria Hotel.
Telford Road, LL59 5DR. 01248 712309.
Open for food 12:00 – 2.30 (3pm Sundays) and 6pm – 9pm.
Liverpool Arms.
St Georges Road, LL59 5EY. 01248 712435.
Open for lunch and evening meals – times not known.

Harry’s Portugese .
11 High Street, LL59 5EE. 01248 712 368.
Breakfasts, lunches and light snacks. Open Mon – Sat 9:00 – 5:00, Sun 10:00 – 4:00

Taste of India.
27-29 High Street, LL59 5EF. 01248 715187
Indian restaurant and takeaway.

Menai Tandoori.
13 High Street, LL59 5EE. 01248 713950.
Indian restaurant and takeaway.

Four Crosses, LL59 2RW. 01248 717778.
Tandoori Restaurant, 300mtrs on the Pentraeth road from Four Crosses roundabout.

Jade Village Cantonese.
Mona Road, LL59 5EA. 01248 715409.
Chinese restaurant and takeaway.

The Gazelle.
Glyngarth, LL59 5PD. 01248 713364.
At the water edge, a short walk down the hill from Coed Y Berclas. Open Mon – Sat 12:00 – 14:30, 18:00 – 21:00 Sun 12:00 – 20:00

Takeaways in Beaumaris

Castle Street 01248 810327.

Takeaways in Menai Bridge

Pizza Base.
Dale Street. LL59 5AW. 01248 715000.

Jade Village Chinese.
Mona Road. LL59 5EA. 01248 715409.

Seawaves Neptune Fish and Chips.
Bridge Street. LL59 5DW. 01248 716398.

Four Crosses. LL59 2RW. 01248 717778. Indian.
Taste of India. 27-29 High Street. LL59 5EF. 01248 715187. Indian.

Menai Tandoori.
13 High Street. LL59 5EE. 01248 713950. Indian.


Anglesey is an internationally recognised Geopark: it has attracted geologists for centuries and there has been deep study and argument about the development of its fascinating structure. The island is one of the most geologically interesting areas within the UK.

Anglesey became an island around 10,000 years ago, after the last Ice Age, when ice melted and sea levels rose. There is a seismic fault which runs along the Menai Strait and there are occassional earth shocks or tremors – there was one in early 2015.

You don’t need to be a geologist to spend the day exploring the island’s stunning Coastal Path, or one of the many Geo Trails where you will see that our treasured rock formations come in all shapes and sizes, colours and structures and give vital clues to how the land has evolved.

These rocks span 4 eras and 12 geological periods and are often the reason behind the extraordinary range of plants and animals which call the island their home.,/p>


Neolithic Era

The Neolithic era saw the beginning of farming on Anglesey and therefore settlements, though evidence of this is rare: occassionally post holes, created by the historic presence of wooden house posts are discovered by archeologists. Other evidence from this period includes stone axe-heads, arrow-tips and spear-points: and on a much larger scale, the cromlechs (burial chambers), individual standing stones and henges (rings of stones).

You can visit Bryn Celli Ddu and Barclodiad y Gawres which are important examples of tombs which are still covered with earth mounds and can be entered through their tunnel openings. Both tombs contain carved stones in their interiors. The museum section of Oriel Ynys Mon contains a case of stone inmpements dating from this period.

Bronze Age

Around 4,200 years ago, during the Bronze Age, our ancestors were already mining copper from Parys Mountain and using the metal to produce bronze tools and weapons. There are examples in Oriel Ynys Mon. Mynydd Parys (Parys Mountain) is a fascinating place to walk and to view the remains of mining through the centuries. There are other minerals to be found on the site and together they colour the landscape in different hues. (In the late C18th, under Thomas Williams, Parys Mountain became the greatest copper mine in the world.)

The Bronze Age also saw the development of defensive enclosures.

Iron Age

During the Iron Age, around 2,600 years ago, circular buildings of wattle and daub with long thatched roofs left sufficient archeologcal information for replicas to be built. You can see two ’round houses’ at Llandeusant close to LLynon windmill.

As time went by, low stone walls were built with similar conical thatched roofs: there are the remains of an evocative farming settlement with this type of buildings, Din Lligwy, at Llanallgo, near Moelfre – well worth visiting.

This is the time of the Celts and Druids, and Anglesey was the centre for Druidism in Britain, it was therefore a central focus for the many tribes around Britain, the means by which rebellion might flourish, and thus a threat to the Romans who were intent on adding Britain to their empire. Being an island, Anglesey felt protected from invasion, but against the military might of the Roman Empire it could not hold out.

One of the bloodiest massacres committed by the Romans occured on the south western shore between Moel y Don and Tal y Foel.

Under Seutonius Paulinus, the highly trained and battle hardened Roman army, with seige engines, cavalry, boats and better weapons and armour, set up camp, probably at Llanfairisgaer. At slack water, they used boats to cross the Menai Strait to attack the chanting, sheild clashing Celts. What followed was a rout and no prisoners were taken. Those who didn’t die in battle were put to the sword or burned to death.

Soon after his ‘victory’, Paullinus was called away to fight Boudicca and it wasn’t until 15 years later that Agricola crossed the Lavan Sands to Beaumaris to quell and settle Anglesey.

There are remains of a Roman fort in Holyhead – the parish church now stands within its walls – and a lookout tower, Mymydd Twr, on top of Holyhead Mountain.
The Celts remained on Anglesey after the Romans had left at the start of C5th AD and from this point Wales began to develop a seperate identity.

Christianity and the Vikings

Christianity arrived around C4th AD and there are still Celtic crosses at Penmon Priory, which with Holyhead and Llaneilian were considered ‘mother churches’. There are also many smaller churches which may date from this period. Anglesey also had an abundance of saints and many place names begin with Llan (parish) followed by a saint’s name eg Llandegfan is the parish of St Tegfan.

The Vikings made raids on Anglesey, as they did around much of the northern coasts of the UK and Ireland. It’s likely that some Vikings settled on the fertile island: indeed, the name Anglesey is derived from Old Norse and was in use from the C10th AD.

The Normans also used the name when they attacked North Wales after conquering England. A Norman motte and bailey fort remains from this period at Aberlleniog near Llangoed.

The Welsh Princes

Then followed the era of the Welsh Princes. Llewelyn Ap Iorwerth (Llewelyn the Great 1173 – 1240) was the most successful of the Welsh Princes, ruling not only Gwynedd but all Wales. He was married to Siwan (Joan), daughter of King John of England. Her carved stone coffin can be seen in the porch of the parish church in Beaumaris.

However, during the reign of the English King Edward I, Wales lost its independence with the death, in fighting, of Llewelyn Ap Gruffudd (the Last Prince).
Edward built several magnificent castles around North Wales to keep the people under control – they are open to the public now, looked after by CADW. Beaumaris Castle stands in the town, on the shore of the Menai Strait and is the magnificant, but unfinished last of Edward’s castles.

Although Owain Glyndwr’s Welsh rebels held the Castle from 1403 – 1405, in 1406 the English King Henry IV regained control of Anglesey.

The Tudors

One of the most famous families to come from Anglesey (Penmynydd) was the Tudors. Owain Tudor (c1400 – 1461) became a squire at the court of Henry V and on the king’s death Owain secretly married his French widow, Catherine de Valois. Their grandson became Henry VII after defeating the Yorkist King Richard III at Bosworth Field.

Both the Tudor and Stuart dynasties sprang from this root. Plas Penmynedd was built in 1576 for a later generation of the Tudors, probably in the same location as the earlier Tudor house. It still exists but is in private ownership.

David Hughes

In 1603, David Hughes, born locally but having left to ‘make his fortune’, founded a free grammar school for boys: the original building remains in Beaumaris and his name continues attached to Ysgol David Hughes, the comprehensive school in Menai Bridge, where it educates all children from the locality.

Beaumaris Court and Goal

The Court (1614) and Gaol (1828/9) dealt with miscreants over the centuries: both buildings are open to the public in the centre of Beaumaris.

Recent history

The Island’s main sources of income for centuries were fishing, farming, coastal shipping and ship building (and smuggling!). The Industrial Revolution brought larger ships and longer journeys and January 1826 saw the opening of Telford’s Menai Suspension Bridge, replacing ferries and the hazardous crossing from Abergwyngregyn to Beaumaris, and carrying the A5 (from London) to Holyhead, from whose port ships sailed for Dublin.

The railway followed when the Britannia Tubular Bridge opened in 1850. It was designed by William Fairbairn and George Stephenson and was the prototype of box girder construction.

In 1970 fire destroyed many of the tubular sections of the bridge. Turning disadvantage to advantage, the bridge was redesigned, with arches and an upper road level which was opened to traffic in 1980: it now carries the A55. Trains still run on the lower level, as previously.

Both bridges opened Anglesey up to more visitors and made travelling in both directions easier.

Throughout the C20th and up to the present we have welcomed visitors and enjoyed sharing the amazing features of our island with holiday-makers from all round the world. There is a warm Welsh welcome waiting here. Croeso i Ynys Mon (welcome to Anglesey)


Oriel Ynys Mon. Ang;lesey gallery

Oriel Ynys Mon, The Isle of Anglesey Gallery, in Llangefni, is a very special place with a number of spaces offering changing exhibitions including the work of Sir Kyffin Williams and the illustrator Charles Tunnicliffe.

The history Gallery has interest for all ages.The cafe and shop add to the Gallery’s appeal. It is open seven days a week from 10:30 – 17:00 It only closes for a couple of days over the Christmas period. 01248 724444

Ucheldre Arts Centre, Holyhead

Ucheldre, in Holyhead, is a lively arts centre with frequently changing exhibitions and performances. It sits at the top of the hill in Holyhead in a building which was once convent. 01407 763361

Open Studios

Open Studios – every year, around Easter many artists and crafts people open their studios and exhibition spaces to the public. It’s a great chance to talk to the creative people of Anglesey.

Beaumaris Festival

Beaumaris Festival takes place in several venues during Spring Bank Holiday: it is a blend of music, talks, craft-work, art exhibition and peotry readings.


Bird watching and Wildlife

Anglesey is a wonderful place for wildlife and Coed y Berclas is a superb base for bird watching and discovering other creatures of land and sea. Within our 4.7 acres we have a variety of habitats, garden/field/woodland, offering habitat to birds and animals for you to see without leaving Coed y Berclas – even red squirrels are spotted occassionally.

For birdlife, visit Llyn Alaw and the RSPB sites at South Stack and Conwy (mainland). Snowdonia offers a different environment for wildlife and even has its own flower – the Snowdonia lily, brwynddail y mynydd is its Welsh name.

Anglesey also has important wetlands which have their own associated flora and forna – it’s second only to Norfolk in rich-fen systems. The nearest wetland to Coed y Berclas is a short walk away between Llandegfan and Hen Llandegfan, Cyttir Mawr.

At the Anglesey Sea Zoo, 01248 430411, you can learn about the different life-forms which live in the waters of the Menai Strait.

Red Squirrels on Anglesey

The second largest Red Squirrel population in Wales is on Anglesey – and there are no grey squirrels to bother them.

Prince Charles is actively supporting the Red Squirrel Survival Trust and they in turn support the work of the Friends of the Anglesey Red Squirrels and Menter Môn on Anglesey, North Wales. By 1998 the red squirrels of Angelsey faced extinction but there are now about 700 red squirrels on the island. They have returned, not only to coniferous woodland, but also to broadleaved woodland, their home before the grey squirrel invasion.

They have been seen at Coed y Berclas!


Your activities on and around Anglesey

Anglesey is a great island for walking.

As well as the Anglesey Coastal Path we have The Saints footpaths, circular walks tracing the footsteps of our Island’s early saints. The walks combine Anglesey’s wonderful scenery with many of its historic and prehistoric sites. They are carefully graded, to ensure that the right level can be chosen, and leaflets feature details of all public facilities and amenities along the way.

Isle of Anglesey Coast path

At 125 miles, the Anglesey Coastal Path falls within a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) which covers 90% of the coast. It < href="" title="Our Coast Path walk to Beaumaris">runs along one edge of our land at Coed y Berclas, so if you go to the top of the drive and turn either left or right, you’ll be walking on the Coastal Path. There is a file containing all the Path sections, in both the Cottage and the Apartment.


The Anglesey and Welsh National cycle routes pass through the village (Llandegfan). There is cycle storage in the utility room beside the holiday cottage, and by arrangement, for holiday apartment guests. Sustrans is a charity encouraging people to cycle, walk and use public transport, with pages on their website covering Anglesey/North Wales. There are many good lanes to cycle on Anglesey.

There are also mountain bike routes in Snowdonia. Bike hire and route information is available in a number of locations locally.


If golf is high on your list of things to do on Anglesey, Baron Hill Golf Course, just along the lane from Coed y Berclas, will offer a warm welcome to visitors. Contact them at Beaumaris, Anglesey. North Wales. LL58 8YW. Tel 01248 810231.

You can play on any of eight courses on the Island. Visit the Anglesey County Council website Golfing pages for information about the Anglesey Golf Pass.

Horse Riding

We know of two riding schools:- Anglesey Riding Centre, Dwyran 01248 430377, towards the south western corner of the island and Cromlech Manor Farm 01248 853489, one mile from the Blue Flag beach of Benllech Bay. Both cater for novice and advanced riders.

Anglesey Coast Rib Rides

Explore the stunning coastline of Anglesey in a skippered rigid inflatable boat (RIB). Experience the tranquility of the Menai Straits, its stately homes, tides and whirlpools or travel seaward to Llanddwyn island, a rocky peninsula of outstanding beauty, surrounded by white sandy beaches. Exhilerating..! There are a number of companies, based in Menai Bridge and Beaumaris who offer this service: Rib-ride 03331 234303 in Menai Bridge, Seawake 01248 716335 in Menai Bridge, Seacoast Safaris 07854 028393 in Beaumaris.

Boat and fishing trips in larger vessels are also available – two companies are based in Beaumaris and there are others around the Anglesey coast: Seacoast Safaris 07854028393 in Beaumaris, Starida Sea Services 01248 810251 in Beaumaris.


Watersports are widespread around the coast of Anglesey – including surfing, windsurfing, kite surfing, scuba diving, water skiing, kayaking, canoeing, sailing…. There are numerous launching sites, one of which is at Menai Bridge only two miles away.

At Coed y Berclas Holiday Cottage and Holiday Apartment there’s plenty of parking space for a jet ski or a small power craft as well as cars. Look at the Admiralty Tide Tables to check for best launch times and remember there are strong tides in the Menai Strait which can be fun if treated with respect.

There are teaching facilities in various watersports to be found on the island and at Plas Menai – the National Water Sports Centre between Port Dinorwic and Caernarfon LL55 1UE 01248 670964 – on the mainland side of the Menai Strait.

At Dolgarrog, in the Conwy valley, several miles from the sea, Surf Snowdonia offers an exciting opportunity to learn to surf using new technology to produce large waves in a big outdoor ‘pool’, 01492 353123.


You can find all the Anglesey beaches listed here


Aberffraw – sandy estuary, good views, toilets and parking in village, 1mile+ to beach.


A very small beach is located near the main street through the archway by the root of the Pier. Cafes, Pubs, Restaurants toilets. Seafront with large car parking.


Benllech – Blue Flag. Sandy beach in popular resort, bathing, paddling, beach shop, cafes, parking and toilets by beach.

Cable Bay / Porth Trecastell

Cable Bay/Porth Trecastell – Sandy cove, rock pools, car park.

Cemaes Bay

Cemaes Bay – Blue Flag. sandy beach, bathing, walking, other coves nearby, cafes, car park, toilets.

Church Bay

Church Bay – sandy beach, bathing, cafe, car park, toilets.

Llanddona Beach

Llanddonna Beach – Blue Flag. eastern end of Red Wharf Bay, steep lane down, sandy beach, shallow sea, bathing, paddling, fast tide, cafe, car park, toilets.

Lligwy Beach / Traeth Lligwy

Lligwy Beach/Traeth Lligwy – sandy beach, swimming, walking, beach shop, car park.


Moelfre – shingle cove, no swimming/bathing/paddling, sailing, fishing, boating, walking, cafes and pub, parking.

Llanddwyn / Malltraeth / Newborough

Llanddwyn/Newborough/Malltraeth – Blue Flag. miles of sandy beaches, good views, dunes and forest, disabled parking and board-walk, swimming, paddling, canoeing, sailing, kite surfing, toilets, parking. Our absolutely favourite beach!

Porth Dafarch

Porth Dafarch – Blue Flag. toilets.

Porth Cwyfan

Porth Cwyfan – shingle and sand, church on offshore island.

Porth Eilian

Porth Eilian – Shingle, sheltered cove, bathing, walking, often many power boats and Jet skis. Parking up hill from beach.

Porth Nobl

Porth Nobla – sandy beach, swimming, car park.

Red Wharf Bay

Red Wharf Bay – 5 miles of sandy beach in all, fast tide, shallow water, boating, cafes, at NW end pub and restaurant, car parks.

Rhoscolyn Borth Wen

Rhoscolyn – Borth Wen – sandy beach, swimming, paddling, boating, sailing, toilets, walk up lane to pub/restaurant.

Rhoscolyn – Silver Sand Bay

Rhoscolyn – Silver Bay – sandy beach, toilets, car park.


Rhosneigr – sandy resort beach, water sports, cafes nearby, toilets in library car park, on road parking in village.

Traeth Bychan

Traeth Bychan – Sand and shingle, water sports/sailing club, swim only near beach, walking, beach shop, toilets, car park.

Trearddur bay

Trearddur Bay – Blue Flag. series of sandy coves between rocky outcrops, buoy protected bathing area, watersports outside protected area, cafes, toilets, car parks.

Trwyn Du / Penmon

Trwyn Ddu, Penmon – light/white pebble beach, lighthouse, no swimming, no paddling, very strong currents, fishing, walking, summer cafe, parking (toll).